Monday, April 25, 2011

America is being sold for .12 cents a pound

The high price of scrap along with a faltering economy has lead to a heart breaking realization for me. Americana & the only true great American steel is being sent to the crusher & exported to China only to come back to America as a sausage blend of cheap steel & inferior products. It amazes me to what people will take to the scrap yard either out of desperation or just pure laziness. On a daily basis I find perfectly good, usable & valuable items in our local scrap yard. Just today I brought home a 4 drawer small parts cabinet that would still bring $40 at a garage sale. I found his big brother there a few months back, a 30 drawer parts cabinet. I'm talking all steel industrial grade cabinets.

One of my cool & treasured finds is an old Snap-on tool tray, it caught my eye peeking out from under a warn out washing machine. It was somewhat mangled from the weight of the washer but salvageable. Like an animal lover saving a puppy from a kill shelter I just had to give this old box a second chance at life. I plan to re purpose it into a battery box for my old 64 Dodge D100 shop truck.


But the heart breaker and the reason behind this story is an old 40's GMC pickup truck. One day while treasure hunting in the scrap yard I saw this old truck, complete & running sitting to the side hopefully to find a new home with a loving owner that would put her back on the road. But much to my dismay she was crushed even after several offers of over twice what they paid for her. This is non replaceable history  from the glory days of the auto industry. Vehicles that our children or my grandson may never get to see.


I cannot save it all but try to do the best I can in keeping this great American steel where it belongs, here in America by re purposing it into artwork or another functional use. So before you send that old wagon wheel, reel mower or rusty old truck that's been in a field for years to a scrap yard find an artist, collector or me to give or sell it to. If it's just scrap money you need I'll give you an old refrigerator or washing machine that weighs the same to preserve that old patina d  truck cab that Mother nature has so beautifully painted

2 comments:

  1. Charley that is truly heartbreaking about the old truck. I dont know why the crusher would not take what was offered for it. I hate to see old steel leaving also. My family would be guilty of this if I had not spoken up and heve them recycling now.

    ReplyDelete